Saturday, July 26, 2008

Just Suppose

Just suppose you opted to have a vanity license plate with the word suppose on it...(inspired by a license plate hanging in the garage of Dick Olderman). Then just suppose you had to leave it on the street because of a house guest was using your garage space. Then just suppose you return home one day to an envelope

TO THE PRIUS OWNER, "SUPPOSE" THANK YOU



I opened the letter and this is what I found...

Dear Prius Owner:

I am a fan of good vanity plates-and I want to thank you for yours. In fact, it made a difference to me yesterday.

In my opinion, a vanity plate should have the following qualities:
It should use all seven spaces.
It should not only make sense, it should be interesting and contribute something to the public square.
Abbreviations, misspellings, and other contrortions should be avoided.
Imperatives are good, as they make a moral claim and invite engagement.

If I were a judge of a national vanity plate competition, yours would definitely place in the finalist' category, if it didn't win the grand prize.

"Suppose is a word with such wonderful possibilites, It has a musical sound. It invites an adult game of "let's pretend" - imaginative without being irresponsible. It suggests that we open ourselves to possibilities without losing our moorings. It would be the first word in the brilliant closing argument of an attorney defending an innocent man. It would be a fine word to begin a poem. It is a quality of thought that our world, full of certainties and judgments, sadly lacks - thus its moral contribution.

Yesterday....I had been journaling and had managed to write myself into a blue funk. On my walk back I was feeling pretty sad, when I was reminded of your vanity plate and decided to take you up on your suggestion. "Suppose," I thought...and let the idea hang in the air like a prayer, inviting the Spirit to complete the sentence. Suppose...my life is not so hopeless. Suppose things will get better. Suppose the world is not such a bad place. Suppose there is, maybe even, a God who desires my happiness and will answer my prayers. This exercise brought a smile to my face, and made a difference to me.

So thank you for that. I just wanted you to know that your choice of words made a difference to someone. I suppose you know this: that's not a small thing."

No comments: