Monday, March 05, 2012

Creative Collaboration ~ The Remix #1

"To compose a subject well means no more than to see and present it in the strongest manner possible." -Edward Weston

This post is the outcome of collaborative efforts by many fellow photographers whose creative spirit is exemplified in their unique depiction of the original photograph. Each person started with the same digital file. (see details of the challenge HERE) The multitude of interpretations is something to behold and very exciting to consider. Each rendering of the original image offers something new to the viewer. What is taken with the camera is often just the jumping off point of the final artistic expression. We can learn from each other's creative process. What are we bringing to the raw material? How do we go about pushing it to another level? What is our process? What are our thoughts that accompany the transformation of the image?

This has been so much fun to organize. I have been so inspired by your imaginative "remixes" and am very appreciative to all who participated. There is a wealth of very exciting ideas presented, offering much food for thought. Given the response to this project, I have decided to offer another round. Look for details which are contained at the end of this post.

And now...

THE DRUMROLL....
(chronological order)


original unedited file

Wills Glasspiegel

Mark Regester

Adrian Davis

Aaron Hobson"walking the moose"






J Wesley Brown
Please go HERE to see the image animated



Chuck Mintz "They Threatened to Close Saint Colman's So We Moved it to the Sticks"








































Kristianne Koch "What Path Will She Pick?"


Mark Hickman




NEXT

I would like to try this again as it has been so amazing to see the creative process in action.
I went thru my files and found another image that has many possibilities for interpretation. Feel free to work with the file that is on this blog or email me at photos@janefultonalt.com and I will invite you do download the larger file from my dropbox account. Then just return your rendition of the photograph to me by April 1st at 72 dpi, 1000 x 1000 pixels maximum, your name in the file and your website (if you have one) and I will post it.


Here is some advice on the creative process from Rainer Maria Rilke...

“Everything is gestation and bringing forth. To let each impression and each germ of a feeling come to completion wholly in itself, in the dark, in the inexpressible, the unconscious, beyond the reach of one's own intelligence and await with deep humility and patience the birth-hour of a new clarity: that alone is living the artist's life. Being an artist means not reckoning and counting, but ripening like the tree which does not force its sap and stands confident in the storms of spring without the fear that after them may come no summer. It does come. But it comes only to the patient who are there as though eternity lay before them, so unconcernedly still and wide.”

Once again, have fun with it!


11 comments:

Aline said...

This is AMAZING! Bravo to ALL!

Deborah Maris Lader said...

What a wonderful idea Jane! The series seems like a great basis for a book. Did you know Chuck Mintz is my cousin?? - deborah maris lader

pamelazilly.com said...

BEAUTIFUL MINDS! I love how some embraced the sign post, others chose to erase it.Can't wait to work with the next image!
Pamela Zilly

Kristianne Koch said...

As a participant, it is so exciting to see how the other artists ended up with completely unique expressions of the same image. I had a feeling when I first saw this image for the collaboration and then it evolved over time. My original feeling was so different than any of the other images express. This has been a fantastic process for me. Thanks for taking the time to set this up. I learned so much!

Rob Castro said...

Brilliant... all very creative - Rob Castro

Erin O'Keefe said...

I love this idea, and thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to think outside of my own parameters.

Thanks so much for doing this!

YMM Positive Outcomes said...

Brilliant! What one image brings forth - even one with a laundry line!!! I love the collection.

Spiritusgal said...

Loved seeing them and the creativity! Have a few favorites...
Definitely look forward to seeing the next selections.

StephanieC said...

Just came here randomly from Blogger's "next blog" and... WOW.

What incredible creativity and talent!

So varied, yet all so interesting. Can't wait to see what these folks come up with for the chair photo.

Also makes me wonder how much of my wedding album is altered...

Tyler Hewitt said...

Wow, some really interesting work there. Glad to be a part of it!
I posted about this on my blog, here's the link: http://lastlightbender.blogspot.com/2012/03/great-idea.html

Phoebe Hemenway Legere said...

I love this collective display of creative ingenuity. My soul is shimmering! O mystery of many minds/ all one. Together we are beautiful. Thank you Jane.