Thursday, February 25, 2010

Devotional Everything

Back to India...

The second night in India I was staying a guest house outside the city of Amritsar, providing refuge from the endless city noise. The owner was apologetic as he explained that there was going to be a concert of Hindu devotional music a few blocks away beginning at 11 pm. I was non-plused, as the transatlantic flight had left me with little energy.
I went to sleep with a hot water bottle in the bed and a crackling fire in the fire place. In the middle of the night my husband woke up and HAD to find the music. I was sure I would never see him again.

© Jane Fulton Alt

And so it is in India. It grabs at you in ways you never would imagine. It was one of the most difficult, challenging and confronting experiences I have ever had. I am processing it daily, trying to incorporate it into my understanding of life. I know there are ancient wisdoms to be gleaned and feel so grateful for having made the journey.

© Jane Fulton Alt

If you haven't seen this amazing skating performance by Merly Davis and Charlie White from the Olympics, it is fabulous. The music is from Bunty Aur Babli Slislla Ye Chaahat Ka & Dola Re Dola from Devdas and takes me right back to India.

No comments: