Saturday, March 27, 2010

Connectivity

I have just come thru an very interesting 24 hours of not being able to access my blog. This problem became increasing disturbing to me and instead of just walking away from it, I became obsessed and began searching the internet on how to reconnect. Over time I located websites that posted comments from other blogspot users in the midwest who were experiencing the same problem....imagine that!

I have always been very interested in how we connect and disconnect from ourselves and others (the first time being when the umbilical cord is cut and the last being when we take our last breath). The other night I was at a restaurant and watched other patrons "checking in" with their iphones and Evan Baden's work about connectivity came to mind.

So, now that I am able to access my blog (thanks to the help of internet support and resetting my modem and router),
I would like to present The Illuminati by Evan Baden.



In Evan's words...

"In Westernized cultures today, there is a generation that is growing up without the knowledge of what it is to be disconnected. The world in which we are growing up is always on. We are continuously plugged in, and linked up. We take this technology for granted. Not because we are ungrateful, but because we simply don’t know a world without it.
From our earliest memories, there has always been a way to connect with others whether it is Myspace, Facebook, cell phones, email, or instant messenger. And now, with the Internet, instant messaging, and email in our pocket, right there with our phones, we can always feel as if we are part of a greater whole. These devices grace us with the ability to instantly connect to others, and at the same time, they isolate us from those with whom we are connected. They allow for great freedom, yet so often, we are chained to them. They have become part of who we are and how we identify ourselves. These devices ordain us with a wealth of knowledge and communication that would have been unbelievable a generation ago. More and more, we are bathed in a silent, soft, and heavenly blue glow. It is as if we carry divinity in our pockets and purses."
-Evan Baden





Thank you, Evan, for discussing this incredibly important and timely subject. And thanks to the other bloggers who posted on the internet and helped me to realize that I was not alone in my being DISCONNECTED! I am one happy camper.

No comments: