Tuesday, May 04, 2010

thoughts to ponder

“You can’t get to wonderful without passing through alright.”
Bill Withers from THE WISDOM BOOK



• Why do you photograph?
• What do you stop to photograph, what draws you to the subject?
• Do your photographs describe what you experience as reality?
• How do you determine where to stand in relationship to what you’re photographing?
• Are you ever in the midst of working in a particular place and you get the feeling you’re not getting anything, you don’t feel connected to it?
• What do you look for in a photograph?
• What has to go on in a frame to make it interesting?
• How do you edit? How do you choose a handful that say what was really going on for you?
• What makes a photograph convincing or evocative?
• What is it you are trying to say in the photograph?

1 comment:

Mojo said...

First, I love the quote and I really love the photo.

But the only one of the questions I can really answer is the first one. I see things that ... other people don't see. And I find them compelling or beautiful in some way and want to share that.

I should probably work on answering the question "what draws me" because I'd probably be more productive that way. On the other hand, not knowing the answer to that one opens me up to anything. It's just too bad that that so often leads to one of those dead-ends you describe in... one of the later questions. Because yeah, very definitely I sometimes look around and think "Well this was a waste". It's rare that it's a total loss though.